Sunday, January 29, 2012

TripTik

So our bags are packed, we’ve got snacks for the drive. Freddie has about 100 of her miniature dinosaurs to play with and episodes of her favorite shows on the phone. The glove box is filled with a number of helpful items for the long road ahead: pocket sized hand sanitizer (for protection from those great gas station bathrooms on the I-5), pocket Kleenex tissue, pocket sewing kit, pocket flash light, pens (regular size), etc. But most importantly, folded in there neatly with all the pocket-y things we have our BCAA complimentary maps of Oregon/Washington, Portland, California, and one all inclusive Western Provinces and States map too. And if that’s not enough to get us on the right track, Lorna, the map lady at BCAA, threw in BCAA’s celebrated personalized TripTik. If you have never heard of a TripTik (not to be confused with triptych) you obviously don’t have a person in your life like my dad. My dad prides himself in getting deals, saving money, getting free stuff,  and more importantly getting free stuff. If something is free he knows where to get it. He’s been seen grabbing a pair of shoes from out of a trash can, in a mall in L.A. “they were on the top, not in. They are practically brand new.” He still argues in his defense. There have been occasions where he’s eaten three baskets of fries at Red Robin just because they’re “bottomless”—FREE. He's also got a thing for "free" golf balls that he finds at the golf course. Who'd have guessed?! Apparently people lose golf balls at the golf course, hundreds of them. I’ve started to notice this quality in myself as of late and its wound me up with a lot of crap piling up on my deck, but the TripTik is another story. Far from crap, the TripTik (FREE from BCAA) is a handy little booklet mapping out your route from point A to point B with all the stops along the way. Fold out pages detail the population of the cities you’re passing through and tidbits of information you might want to know like major industries, agricultural output and historic sites! For instance PORTLAND (pop. 529,121): Nature has endowed Portland with many gifts—majestic vistas, a mild climate, and a deep water harbor.  Wow! Unlike a fold out map it’s easy to open, just flip the page and you’re on your way again. “What should we expect from the 101 as we drive from Crescent City to Coos Bay?” I might say to Steve as we pull out of the Crescent City Quality Inn parking lot, complimentary muffins in hand of course. “Well, says here in the TripTik” : US 101. . . crosses rolling hills and mountains and emerges on the coastline where it offers spectacular seascapes. Passes Avenue of the Giants in Redwood Country. Lumber, sheep ranches and small farms are located in the region. Fair to good grade alignment. I don't think much more can be said about this. Thanks dad for turning me on to TripTiks, and free stuff.


Steve with TripTik and globe.
 

3 comments:

  1. hey you guys....i just got an e-mail from jeff and cherith and they saw you guys filling up the volvo in upper washington a few days ago. isn't that funny.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. just checking to see if this works

      Delete
    2. Hi Steve, Meg and Freddie Munster.

      It is really good to here that you,v learnt something from your dad. I am a firm believer in tripticks. My motto has always bean PPPCCCCFFFFFS(m + f)SSS(Preparation, Proves, Practical, Cancelling, Catastrofic, Causes,Creating, Family, Fun, Fantastic,Festivities, For, Steves (and Meghann and Freddies)Sunny, San Fransico, Scholarship, Summer)

      The other think I need too cleer up is the hole french frie fiasco. As I recall we were all hving a good time eating, and whose counting 2 baskets, 3 baskets, 6 baskets who cares. All anyone thingks about is my massive eating, no body simpathizes about my massive appetive. I,ll have you know I had just come from my flamingo lessons and had worked up a big hunger.

      Now the about what you think you saw, about what I did, when I saw, what I thought you saw, which is what I was seeing, sitting, staring at me from a used clothing basket in the mall in Los Anglees. I am somwhat embare assed about you airing hour family money saving tips with the entire world but what you think you saw was in fact not a garbage can, it was a used clothing basket that someone had thrown garbage into, so what you saw was not what I saw and what I did was not what you think I did or saw. As the famous country song goes " I was recycling before recycling was cool."

      One last thing, woo can say how many golf balls are enough golf balls, is there a certain number, who makes up that number is it you, is it Steve who is it where is it written down. I belive if something is lost it should be found and if the losser is,nt going to find it who better than to find it-the golf ball-than me. Why pay for something you can find just by piking up golf balls that are right beside the cart, even if the cart is in the reeds. My friend Arnolds Palmer one asked me "howw may golf balls do you need" my answer "just one more". Oh no that Arnold Riemer from Landmark.

      Well hope you have fun, write again soon and next time make sure you fact check your facts so your facts don,t contradict your facts, facts.

      Signing off in my native language.

      Gutten nacht, shloop faust, laut nicht en bad kjhniepa biete, wan die donna, shlone em met en schoo, blot em schwoat und bleiw.

      Love Dad

      Delete